Big Ol Magnolia

I visited Magnolia Cemetery this past Sunday and it was a sight to see!  It was absolutely beautiful!  There were Spanish moss and palm trees everywhere around the gravestones.  And I'm not exaggerating when I say that this cemetery is HUGE!  I couldn't even find where the gravestones ended.  I would follow a path and it would lead me to another patch of gravestones, and then another, and another!  There are over 33,000 people buried in Magnolia Cemetery!  Not to mention, it's only 15 minutes away from College of Charleston.  A place that pretty and so close; I wish I had known about it sooner!

 

I visited Magnolia Cemetery with my friend Bevin (as pictured to the left). We entered through a big gate and saw all these paths leading to different sections of gravestones.  There was an immense amount of beautiful trees that caught our eyes immediately! And right in front of us, behind some of those trees, was a lake!  Across the lake was a cute, small wooden bridge that took us to the other side where more gravestones lied.  We went at an amazing time where the setting sun was reflecting perfectly off the water.  And there were geese taking a little dip next to us on this nice cool day.  I personally am not one to take casual strolls through cemeteries just for the fun of it, but this cemetery may be an exception.

 The paths here look like they were made by a small vehicle rather than by foot.  I think the grassy center of the path style suits it better.  It fits the theme of this cemetery, giving it an older look.







The first gravestone that caught my eye would be the gravestone of C. Laney Meyer.  He lived from January 17, 1827 to December 31, 1895.  Under these years write the words, "Blessed is he that considereth the poor, his name shall live after him."  Wow, he sounds like a pretty nice guy.  The gravestone looks like it is a hyped up pedestal tomb- urn grave marker.  It has a trophy like urn on the top with a fancy cloth hanging over it; which probably has to do with the inspirational words written on the grave.  In the center, between the mini beams, there is a book with a cloth bookmark separating the pages.  I believe it represents a bible.  I personally think this grave marker is one of my favorites because of the intricate detail put into it.  I enjoy the "CLM" symbol for his initials that is marked on all four sides of the pedestal.  I also like the words written on it for it gives people who see his grave insight as to why it looks so special.
This second gravestone (pictured to the right and below) is just magnificent.  It is huge and simply beautiful!  It looks like it is an open mausoleum with beams surrounding it instead of walls.  I am unsure whether the deceased is buried in the center bed or underneath the whole gravestone.  Regardless, it is something to see.  The person who lies here is named, Sarah Calhoun Simonds.  When I first read "Calhoun", I think of the street name in Charleston.  Maybe there is some correlation.  Anyways, Sarah was born January 19, 1839 and died February 9, 1908.  This gravestone is another favorite of mine because I like its big size and detail on the coffin/bed in the center.  It looks as if the beams and mausoleum around the bed are older than the center stone, which looks like it is in almost new shape.  Also, the detail of flowers on the sides and the urn on top just makes it a work of art.

 Last but not least, my third favorite gravestone from Magnolia Cemetery would be the beloved Lizzie Patrick (as pictured below).  Poor Lizzie died on November 7, 1885.  Witten on the stone is that she only aged 4 years, 1 month and 3 days.  She was too young.  The grave marker is a pedestal consisting of a statue.  What I like about this gravestone is that it is a much larger stone for someone who died so young.  Most gravestones for children are relatively smaller than those for adults.  But Lizzie here was special.  The statue is of a pure, young angel.  Her face has a content expression yet is looking down as she leans against the cross for support.  This gravestone caught my eye because of the detail in the statues facial expression.  And it was a surprise when I learned the age of the girl who is buried here.  May she rest peacefully.





Next to Lizzie's gravestone is this small palm tree (pictured to the left).  I thought it was cute how a little palm tree was placed next to little Lizzie's grave.  Her placement in this cemetery couldn't be better.












 Sadly I didn't get any pictures of me next to these graves, but Bevin took some pics of me on Magnolia's bridge!  I mean, why wouldn't we take pictures on this cute bridge during golden hour?  I had a great time visiting Magnolia Cemetery and seeing all the astonishing gravestones.  Probably the most beautiful cemetery and gravestones I have ever seen.  I highly recommend that you visit if you have not been.  I plan to visit again, especially now that I know how close it is to Charleston! (Click this link for some history on Magnolia Cemetery)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little About Kelly!

Elizabeth Jackson! Right before our eyes!

Long Live Anthony Francis Brongo